Monday, August 22, 2011

My Good-bye Post

Well my dear and lovely students, it has been wonderful to teach you!  Not only are you great writers with interesting things to say and expressive and intelligent ways of saying them, but you have amazing personalities, too!  I have grown fond of each of you on a personal level.  Collectively, your class was my favourite class that I have ever taught at ELI.   Your pleasantness and the respect with which you have treated each other and me have been very refreshing to me as an instructor. I admire each and every one of you for your many fine qualities: your intelligence, maturity, patience, dedication, courage, loyalty, compassion, and, of course, your writing skills.

In connection with those fine qualities of yours, I would like to say that if you ever need reference letters, please let me know, and I will be happy to provide them for you!  Please never be shy about asking for such things.  (Just try to give me a warning about two weeks before I need to write the letter, if that's ok.)

And now I must take my leave of most of you as most of you are moving on. Saying good-bye to people for whom one has deeply-felt feelings of friendship and affection is never nice, but we are fortunate that it is a small world.  Thanks to the powers of transportation and communication technologies, we can indeed keep in touch, even as we move on in our lives.  Indeed, just as it was always a pleasure for me to read your blog entries, I hope you will be brave and consider maintaining your blogs!  I will keep reading if you can keep writing!

Thank you for accepting me as your instructor, and for the graciousness and friendliness with which you always carried yourselves.  I will miss our class, the best class I have ever taught at ELI, and I will miss you, too.  I hope you will all stay in touch! 

--
If you wish, you can find me on Facebook (search for "nathan@nathanbauman.com", not my work address), and in any case you have my work email address also.  I never "friend" students, but I do accept "friend" requests from students once the session has been completed.

Finally, I must apologize for writing this farewell so late.  I came down with a fever on Thursday afternoon, and it has stayed with me until the present time.  At the moment, though, I have a little time free of the fever, and so I have been able to compose this short note.  I hope through it you will sense my feelings for your class, and I hope you will remember that I consider you the brightest and best students I have ever taught; I will always believe in each one of you!

2 comments:

  1. Nathan! Sorry that I haven't noticed your love-carrying farewell post earlier! I checked some times before you wrote, and failed to find one, and thought you were busy having vacation with your family :). I have been rather busy since I started my new school, and forgot to check! I am very pleased to you finally uploaded <3

    By the way, are you okay with your fever?? I cannot believe that fever is staying with you for so long time!!! But good that it was not our class days you were sick. You might not had had (?) enough time to rest if then! I'll transfer my energy to you so that you can get better soon :).

    We are so flattered that 620W is your best class ever! I will still be honored even your 'best class' changes as you teach longer in ELI :D.

    I feel very weird writing this comment; as my new class is about getting the techniques of teaching English, I really don't have much opportunity to learn the language itself like I did in IEP. It is not until now that I realized how much I enjoyed writing blogs... I truly feel this way. So, thanks again, Nathan, I never have imagined that I would enjoy writing something.

    Nathan, your class was more than awesome; thanks for every generosity you offered us. (especially for being late every day, sorry :(! ) I would not forget what you have taught me, and the knowledge you gave me will come along with me as I carry my life on. Ah, really, I don't know how much you helped me improve English, I appreciate it.

    I will love to keep in contact, and as you were the teacher I would always go for an answer if I had a question, I have to warn you that I will keep using Nathan for my adviser :P. I will always feel so confident and reliable having you as my back up >_<!!!

    So, take care Nathan, and Stay Out of Trouble! (LOL) Hopefully, I will see you soon when I visit ELI <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia, thank *you* for your kind farewell! (And thanks to the others who emailed me separate farewells!)

    Anyway, Kia, I am honoured by your comment, and I was honoured by your presence in a phenomenally wonderful class. I do wish you all the very best in your new ventures, and I very much hope we will keep in touch!

    One more thing: Since you liked blogging, I hope you'll keep maintaining your blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete